Concert Band performance features music from cinematic scores

The El Camino Concert Band readied their instruments as a fellow female band member appears on stage. She bows in admiration before walking up to the podium.

The band member then begins to sync up the horns and other instruments. The crowd applauded in appreciation as it is finally time to start the program on May 1.

The director for the program, Dane Teter, makes his appearance onstage to start the first of two acts.

Teter led the band in various musical numbers in contemporary and traditional band instrumental music.

Members of the band ranges in age from as young as 14 years old up to as old as retiree age.

Such musical numbers in the performance included “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves,” which consisted of a medley of songs from the movie and “Music from How to Train Your Dragon.”

“My favorite piece is ‘October’ by Eric Whitacre,” said Kerry Penberthy, 56, music major, said. She was also looking forward to the second half of the program.

The small crowd of attendees seemed to like the performances, as they gave rounds of applause for every performed song.

Teter introduced each song with a preview and a little back story on the arranger of the pieces.

Pedro Montoya, a 17-year-old Concert Band member still in high school, said that his two favorite songs performed in the show were part of the “Salute to Cinema” medley. The medley consisted of songs from various musical films, including “Singin’ in the Rain” and “The Wizard of Oz.”

Montoya’s second favorite song performed was the “Music from ‘How To Train Your Dragon'” medley, which featured composition pieces from the score of the DreamWorks 2010 animated film.

Montoya also mentioned that once he comes to El Camino college in the fall semester, his major will be in music.

EDITOR’S NOTE May 7, 2016 9:10 p.m.: Lead edited for clarity.