‘Mockingjay – Part 2’ brings franchise to a grim, violent close

In 2012, “The Hunger Games” opened with general success by capturing the emotion, breadth and merciless violence, given its PG-13 rating.

But with “Catching Fire,” director Francis Lawrence’s introduction to the franchise, the thought-provoking themes were properly brought to life on the big screen, leaving great promise for what would come from the series finale.

And now, after reluctantly pushing though “Mockingjay’s” sluggish, and unnecessary, first part, Lawrence and Jennifer Lawrence close the franchise out with one of its darkest entries.

Picking up from where “Part 1” left off, “Mockingjay – Part 2” follows Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and her unit of rebels — including Gale (Liam Hemsworth), Finnick (Sam Claflin), Cressida (Natalie Dormer), Boggs (Mahershala Ali) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) — as they invade the Capitol.

While its enthralling second act keeps the “Part Two” from being a repeat of the first, you still find yourself urging the story to find the right pacing and move on in some cases.

Then in others, you’ll equally want to take a step back and process what’s happening while the film brazenly steps over what was once your favorite character.

It’s equally grim as it is euphoric, and the source material is faithfully adapted, bringing the brutal heartbreak and sharp politics that come alongside war.

“Part 2” isn’t the ideal goodbye to the franchise’s characters, but it provides enough of what worked for the franchise to please more than just the hardcore fans.

Update: Dec. 2, 2015 — Edited for clarity.