‘Super Big Band World’ comes to El Camino

Music from Frank Sinatra and Super Mario Brothers will come together in the El Camino Concert Jazz Band’s performance of “Super Big Band World,” Friday at 8 p.m. in the Marsee Auditorium.

The students have spent weeks preparing, and Director Alan Chan said there will be a mix of different styles played throughout the night, adding up to two hours of music.

“We’re always trying to find interesting ideas and music that will resonate with audiences,” Chan said. “We happen to have the wonderful ECC alumnus Anthony Moreno singing with us, he’s currently a doctoral student at USC.”

The band will play a classic “big band” style featured in the Frank Sinatra songs “Can I Steal a Little Love” and “The Best is yet to Come.” Chan said the latter is going to be sung as a duet between student Pat Thomas and Anthony Moreno.

The band will move toward a modern side as it performs themes from the “Super Mario Brothers” video games, developed in Japan as part of the series’ 30th Anniversary celebration.

“It’s a compilation of multiple pieces and a beautiful arrangement from a Japanese arranger,” Chan said. “We have those two worlds (of music), and everything in between.”

The band will also play music from the 2014 independent film “Whiplash,” the film was nominated for Best Picture and won the awards for Best Sound Mixing, Best Supporting Actor and Best Film Editing at the 87th Academy Awards.

Tickets for the concert are $10, and $5 with a valid ASB sticker or high school ID.

The band’s performance is the first of two in the school year. They will also perform at jazz fest during the spring semester.