On the Scene

The North Torrance Youth Musicians Ensemble will be giving their Spring Concert on Friday, April 3 at 7 p.m. at the James Armstrong Theatre. The price of admission to the event is $10. The theater is located at 3300 Civic Center Dr, Torrance, CA 90503. For more information on the event, call 310-781-7171.

The film “Barbados: Islands in the Sun” will be playing on April 6 at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. at EC in Marsee Auditorium. This film, part of the EC “Discovery Films” series, is narrated by Steve Gonser who talks about the history of Barbados and gives insight into the culture of the people living there. Tickets for the film are $7 and can be purchased online, in-person at the box office, and over the phone. For more information, call 1-800-832-ARTS.

There will be an exhibit/tribute paying homage to the late El Camino associate professor Chris Mello on Friday, April 10 at 6 p.m. in Marsee Auditorium. At 6 p.m. there will be a photography exhibit paying tribute to Professor Mello with reception music provided by EC guitar students. Other performances for the evening include Otmaro Ruiz on the piano, Eliseo Borrero on bass, Aaron Serfaty on drums, and many more. Tickets for the concert are $15 and can be purchased online at http://secure.elcamino.edu/peo/. For more information, call 1-800
832-ARTS.

The Grateful Crane Ensemble will be giving a concert to pay tribute to the influential Japanese singer and actress Misora Hibari on April 11 at 2 p.m. at the James Armstrong Theatre. The performance will include some of Hibari’s most famous songs and will also shed light on her career and her influence on Japanese peoples living in Japan and Japanese-Americans during the years following the second World War. Tickets for the event are $30. For information on the event, call 310-781-7171.

The Southern California Brass Consortium will be performing on April 12 at 7 p.m. in Marsee Auditorium. The group, a large brass and percussion ensemble, will be playing works done by various film composers, Alfred Reed, Scott Ninmer, and many more. Tickets are $26 and can be purchased at the box office, over the phone, or online. With online purchases there will be a service charge of $3 per ticket. For more information, call 1-800-832-ARTS.