Art gallery exhibit brings man and nature together

Updated: April 2, 11:46 a.m.

Life Cycle: Conversations and Soliloquies,” presented by the EC Art Gallery, will be on display from March 2 to April 2.

According to the Art Gallery’s director and curator, Susanna Meiers, “Life Cycle” will present the recent work of Poli Marichal, Marianna Sadowskie and the printmaking collective, “Los de Abajo.”

After walking around the exhibit, it becomes apparent that “Life Cycle” thematically revolves around the merging of human and botanical life.

“I would describe it as work that has to do with the cycles of life,” Meiers said. “Whether they’re botanical cycles or biological cycles or personal cycles – it’s all of those things.”

Both Marichal and Sadowski have been working on similar themes for many years and show a common interest in plants, Meiers said.

The artists take this interest and use both symbolic and realistic imagery to convey their statements about the human condition and the natural world.

“I was very attracted to the idea of nature overlapping very intimately with human life,” Meiers said. “And I think that both (artists) have a really beautiful technique.”

Pirkko de Bar, an installer at the Art Gallery, expressed her thoughts on “Life Cycle” and what it has to say.

“This one I feel at home,” de Bar said. “I’ve never felt that way about any other show.”

De Bar said that the reoccurring themes of “Life Cycle” remind her of her frequent bicycle rides around the Madrona Marsh in Torrance. De Bar said she commutes to EC on her bicycle everyday.

Students who visit “Life Cycle” have generally positive thoughts about the show, admiring it for its ominous themes and “creepy” appeal.

Richard Medina, 20, administration of justice major, said he found most of the artwork creepy. “But it’s a good type of creepy,” he said.

One of the pieces in particular, “Flying Man,” reminded him of “Under the Skin,” an equally ominous sci-fi film starring Scarlett Johansson disguised as an alien in Scotland.

“Flying Man” is an interactive installation that allows students to write and attach their goals and dreams written on small pieces of paper, Meiers said.

De Bar said that “Flying Man” reminded her of the Oscar-winning film “Birdman,” starring Michael Keaton, and a variation of Superman.

“I feel that the notes guests put on the piece enliven it,” she said.

Life Cycle: Conversations and Soliloquies will be open from March 2 to April 2, but will be closed during spring break (March 16-19).