Library Display honors African American History

As part of the black history month the Schauerman Library celebrates it with an exhibition full of famous and interesting people of the black history.

“(The purpose) is to celebrate the experience of the African Americans,” Albert Romero, Library Media Tech Periodical/Reserve, said. “Celebrating their culture, displaying whether is a politic figures or decisions, or entertainers, just to exposure for the culture.”

The gallery displays a variety of prominent people in the black community, like President Obama, W.E.B. Do Bois a civil right activist, and others.

“(The gallery) is trying in show achievement and positivity inside of my culture instead of the negative,” Aaron Stacy, 21, respiratory care major said. “It is showing African American had a great impact on African American history.”

Another student like Victoria Haynes, 18, nutrition major likes the gallery in the library, but she wants to see more African American art like paints, and the best part of the display for her was the display with some traditional dolls of the African american community.

“I just like how they represent everything especially since it is black history month, I thought it was a really nice idea, so it’s nice to see something different in the library,” Haynes said.

Also, Destiny Williams, 27, undecided major wants to see more women that contributed in the black history in the display.

However, for the last eight years Professor Maria Brown worked together with Romero in the organization of this display, but she died last November.

“The items belong to her mother,” Romero said. “The difference is having avoided not having her around, but I know she was here in spirit; I know she really enjoyed working this exhibit.”

Romero said that this time his co-worker Loretta Lay library media technician helped her to install the display in the library.

The exhibit is going to be available for the students until the end of February, Romero said.

“Is just to emphasize that is in memory of Professor Maria Brown,” Romero said. “It was just an honor to work with Professor Brown all this year and all the exhibits that we worked together,”